Directorate Of Ports And Inland Water Transport, Odisha, Bhubaneswar
Directorate of Ports and Inland Water Transport looks after the developmental activities of port sector as well as inland water transport mechanism in the state with the following aims and objectives;
- Odisha is a maritime state having a vast coast line of 480Kms. approximately with suitable number of potential sites for development & up-gradation of Minor Ports, Fishing Harbours and other various coastal transportation infrastructure facilities in the coastal region of Odisha.
- Conservancy of Ports and Harbours in accordance with Indian Ports Act.1908 read with Odisha Port Policy.
- Identification of other potential sites and monitor the progress and development of new Ports and Harbours.
- Formulation of long term and short term coastal area development plan which ultimately paves the way for the overall economic up-liftment of the coastal people and the state as a whole.
- To strengthen Crew Training Institute, Chandabali for imparting modern improved technical training on inland vessels to the students from the state as well as to the students from outside.
Inland Water Transport services are being provided by Directorate of Ports and Inland Water Transport under Commerce & Transport (Com) Department for better transport facilities to the inaccessible areas where there is no road or rail transport facilities.
Government of Odisha has formulated “Odisha Boat Rules-2004” to ensure registration and proper checking of all types of Boats in the state
For navigational safety, conducting certificate of competency examination for Master, Inland Engineer, Engine Driver and Serang of Mechanically Propelled Vessels though Ports & IWT, Mechanical Division Cuttack. There is a Crew Training Institute, Chandabali which imparts training facilities to the un-employed youths in marine sector. This Institute imparts two type courses.
- 10 Months Regular Course for fresh Candidates
- 3 Months Refresher Course for in-service candidates in Deck & Engine Rating.